Saturday, December 8, 2007

Flash forward to winter

OK, so a lot of challenges and victories later, it is winter, it is cold and windy!!! I have been sick twice so far, which likely has more to do with taking on too much in recent history rather than biking everywhere, which is the theory of many a well intentioned friend. But, sick, 30mph winds, 20mph bike and an 8am Syntax class have been slightly less than enjoyable. However, awesome biking legs, feeling great about myself and my choices, the freedom to go anywhere and do anything at the drop of a hat, the total respect of a lot of people and the general sense of knowing I really can live without a car anywhere is so empowering that I will never go back. I have perfected the art of layers. 30*to 10* farenheit is 1 undershirt, 1 long sleeve overshirt, a sweater, windbreaker, yoga pants and 2 skirts. Below 10* is long johns under the yoga pants, the thicker sweater and a scarf for both my face and neck, not just the neck. A pair or windproof, fleece ont eh outside gloves and earwarmers (again only if it is below 10*). Gloves are key in anyhting under 50* though!!! I'm still in hiking socks and puma tennis shoes, though, no need for boots, as I don't reall walk much on unshoveled paths, I'm in the road, on my bike.
I will however, challenge any of the jackass guys that roll up behind me to yell something out of thier SUV windows. WHo is more hardcore? The driver in his tens of thousand dollar SUV, heat blasting, breaking the speed limit by 10mph, harrassing girl on bike. OR, girl on bike, at both 6am and 10pm, balancing down the road, pedaling hard in subzero weather. I challenge all of them to a foot race or to an arm wrestle or I know, I know, to make it 2 days without the ammenities of a highly industrialized world. No, I will show these men the exact costs of their lifestyles and wish upon them in 5 years to be put into a situation where their machismo is compromised and they have to ask for help from someone judged weaker. Someone on a bike or someone poor or someone who never would have considered owning a Hummer, as it is a mark of blood. I then hope they are haunted by the memory of the ficticious conversation we had, you know, the one in which they blew me off, the one where we had a fully developed discussion about the true cost of oil. You know, in the n world... OK, off to grocery shopping with the marsupial aka the bag large enough that my pitbull fits in it comfortably.

No comments: